Frequently Asked Questions

If you need further information or wish to make an inquiry, please contact our JDS Project Office in Nepal.


Q. Who is eligible to apply to JDS Programme?
A. Please refer to Eligibility.

Q. Do I need to take English and Math examinations?
A. English exam is required for all applicants. If you can submit a copy of IELTS or TOEFL certificate within two years as of May 31st, 2020, you do not need to take it again. Math exam is not required for the applicants for Ritsumeikan University and Kyushu University. The problems in the math exam will be those you have learned at junior-high and high school. For further information, please refer to Mathematics Examination.

Q. How about GPA score?
A. We do not have any borderline for GPA score.

Q. I am Master's Degree holder. Can I apply?
A. Yes, you can apply, unless you obtained your Master's degree funded by the Government of Nepal or any other development partners.

Q. I have received a scholarship from other country. Can I apply to JDS?
A. No. If you have ever received (or planning to receive) another scholarship from the Government of Nepal or any other development partners to study abroad, you are NOT eligible to apply. Likewise, if you have already had your master's degree, sponsored by the Government of Nepal or any other development partners, you are also NOT eligible to apply.

Q. I don't speak Japanese. Can I apply to JDS?
A. Yes, you can. All courses are taught in English in the graduate schools selected for the JDS Programme.

Q. Can I apply both for the Master’s Programme as well as the Doctoral Programme?
A. No. You have to choose one from two programmes.


Q. How can I find the target organizations?
A. Please download Application Form 2 and go to Name of Target Organization drop down menu. If you cannot find your organization in the list, please contact the line ministry of your organization.

Q. I am working at the department/provincial/ local office. Whom should I obtain the reference letter and the approval letter.
A. Reference letter should be obtained from your senior supervisor of your workplace. If you are the head of that office, you should request authorize senior official form your line ministry.
Official Approval Letter must be signed by designated office who can approve your study leave in your organization.

Q. I got transferred to a new organization in mid of March 2019. Can I write my Work Experience as below?

Department/DivisionFrom/To (Month/Year)
(Previous work place) 05/2017 – 03/2019
(Current work place) 03/2019 -

A. No. Please do not overlap the month. You may write current work started from 04/2019 as below.

Department/DivisionFrom/To (Month/Year)
(Previous work place) 05/2017 – 03/2019
(Current work place) 04/2019 -

Q. Do the degree certificate and the transcript need to be attested from the university, or notarized from notary public?
A. You can submit a copy of the certificate or transcript after notarized by notary public.

Q. I only have diploma. Am I eligible to apply?
A. No. You must possess at least university degree in order to apply.

Q. I have a master’s degree. Can I submit master’s degree certificate attached to the application document for the Master’s Programme?
A. Yes, if you want.

Q. I have obtained two Bachelor’s degrees and two master’s degrees in the past. I am considering to apply for a master’s course. Which degree should I submit?
A. Please submit all of them.

Q. My research fields are ecology and environmental preservation, which don’t seem to need academic knowledge of civil engineering. Do I need to have academic knowledge of civil engineering of undergraduate level in order to apply Saitama University?
A. Yes, because it is prerequisite specified by the university.

Q. How do I prepare research plan?
A. Please carefully read the instruction written in the Application Guidelines as well as `How to Prepare Your Research Plan`. You would have the guidance session by a resource person from JUAAN (Japanese Universities Alumni Association, Nepal) at the promotion seminars (”Writing a Research Plan”). JDS staff members may also guide you how to prepare the research plan, upon your request.

Q. A book or article that I am referring for writing my research proposal has already cited from another book/article which one should I mention for reference.
A. You need to refer the original source.

Q. Do I need to submit a nomination letter to the JDS Project Office at the time of application?
A. We don’t need the nomination letter or pre approval letter. Official Approval Letter (Prescribed Form3 of the Application Form) signed by Joint Secretary or authorized person must be submitted at the time of application.

Q. Is JDS scholarship private or government nomination?
A. You need to obtain Official Approved Letter (Prescribed Form 3 of Application Forms) from your organization in order to apply for the JDS programme. Contact your organization to see if government nomination is necessary to obtain it or not.

Q. Last year I applied for pre-approval for study leave at my ministry but I didn’t get any reply whether it was approved or not. How can I get to know the result?
A. Ministry do not inform the result to applicants nor JDS. It is applicants’ responsibility to follow up whether it is approved or not.

Q. Which type of passport (private or official) is required for IELTS application?
A.Either passport is okay.

Q. How do I know if I passed the process of document screening or not? Can I call JDS Office and ask?
A. All applicants who passed and did not pass the screening will be informed by JDS Office. Any inquiries for the result of the selection by applicants are NOT allowed.

Q. Can I have my application documents back if I do not pass the selection?
A. No. all application documents will not be returned.

Life in Japan

Q. If I were selected for JDS Scholarship Programme, what allowance can I receive?
A. As to the allowance you will receive in Japan, please refer to Benefit.

Q. Is it okay to bring my dependents and stay with them in Japan?
A. Yes, you can stay with your dependents (spouse/children) in Japan, but only after 3 months from your arrival in Japan unless your university prohibits you from doing so. All the procedures required you to do for your dependents' stay in Japan shall be carried out by yourselves. The JDS Programme will not cover the cost necessary for your families: e.g. travel insurance, air ticket, living cost, and VISA. Your family should be taken care of under your responsibility.

Q. What type of accommodation will I have in Japan?
A. Most students move to university dormitories or public/private apartments before enrolment. The family room of the university dormitory is highly competitive to enter, also the term of staying is usually 6 months or one year only.
The rent of the public/private apartments varies from region to region. The rent in Tokyo is more than ¥45,000 for a single room, and more than ¥55,000 for a family room.

Q. Can I work in Japan?
A. No, you are not allowed to have any job or work. However, the teaching or research assistantship which is provided by your Accepting University is exceptional.

Q. Can I drive automobiles in Japan?
A. No. You are not permitted to drive cars or motorcycles unless there is any special reason which was permitted by the JDS Operation Committee.

Q. Can I stay in Japan after the completion of the JDS scholarship programme in order to continue my education or be employed in Japan?
A. No, you may not. You must return to Nepal after obtaining Master's degree by the JDS Scholarship Programme.

Q. Can I come back to Nepal or travel overseas for short-term while I am staying in Japan?
A. Yes, you may come back to Nepal with your own expense and responsibility that doesn't impact your academic work. If you travel overseas for any other reason than thesis research purpose, your scholarship will be suspended from the day of departure from Japan until the day of return in case of private travel. The scholarship will be paid up to 60 days in the case of the thesis research.

Q. Please tell me about University support system.
A. It depends on university which you enrol. Normally, teaching assistant/s and tutor/s will support your studies and academic life.

Family Related Issues

Q. Can my wife/husband work in Japan?
A. Yes, your spouse may have job or work during their stay, up to 28 hours per week.

Q. Can my wife/husband drive automobiles in Japan?
A. Yes, she/he can. Your spouse needs to obtain an international driver’s license. The validity of the international driver’s license is one year, and she/he needs to be careful about the expire date of the license.

Q. Will JDS programme or universities will offer Japanese language course to my family members?
A. No, but we will introduce you an international exchange centre in each university area which offers Japanese classes at reasonable price.

Q. About how much will it cost for nursery school?
A. It’s depends on local government, and childcare cost will be calculated according to your income. As an example, the childcare cost of one child for scholarship recipient is ¥10,000 in Hiroshima.

Doctoral Programme

Q. Does JDS Programme fund me for PhD course as well?
A. Yes, there’s 2 acceptance quota available each year. See the eligibility of Doctoral Degree programme.

Q. How can I proof English proficiency when we apply to Doctoral Programme?
A. If you wrote your master’s thesis in English, you do not need to submit any official record of English proficiency test as an application document. If you did not write Master thesis in English and have official certificate of IELTS within two years as of May 31st 2020, please submit a copy of IELTS certificate as an application document. We will arrange IELTS examination for those do not have IETLS certificate within two years.
However, you may be required to submit an official certificate of English proficiency by the graduate school for the later stage. In that case, JDS Project Office will organize and cover the cost of IELTS test.